gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

My name is ***** *****. i have an issue with this 98 golf i

Customer Question

my name is ***** *****. i have an issue with this 98 golf i want to buy. it wont start. the engine starts and everything but it dies out soon after. I have been told its probably the immobiliser and to try and disarm it but i have no idea how
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its fairly old 98 VW golf VR6. the previous owner has never had a problem but the last few days it has become hit and miss. so it seems tempremental. it looks like a common problem. i just want to know how i can disarm or by pass the immobilizer
JA: OK got it. Last thing — VW Mechanics generally expect a deposit of about $18 to help with your type of question (you only pay if satisfied). Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 9 months ago.

98 did not have an immobilizer like this, that started halfway through 99 in the MkIV body. You are looking at a MkIII. It has an alarm, and when the alarm is sounding it will not let the vehicle crank.

So if it starts and dies you have another issue. Not being able to hear the car run, I would hesitate to buy it, because the VR6 can get extensive (and expensive) to repair. The timing chain guides will wear out and break, if they have not already (which could be causing the starting issue) and you need to pull the transmission to replace the timing chains.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I'm
Looking at the specs and it states a standard anti theft alarm system. I have heard the car run and I have driven it two days ago. It just has stopped running for the last few hours. I don't know if it's a mechanical issue or an auto electrical issue. What do u think?
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is an Australian vehicle and it states that all golfs post 1995 were fitted with them. Their is also a transponder in the key itself

OK, if it has an immobilizer then it will start and die after a few seconds. So- if it has just recently started acting up, it is a connection issue somewhere. It can be the reader ring around the cylinder, or the wire connection between that ring and the cluster, or between the cluster and the ECM.

On earlier models you could disarm the alarm system, but the immobilizer you really can't.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
do u suggest taking to an auto electrician

Or a dealership. Unless you feel confident running a new wire between the reader coil and the cluster, and the cluster and the PCM...