gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2001 VW Polo 1.4L 16V 6N2 and have just replaced

Customer Question

Hi I have a 2001 VW Polo 1.4L 16V 6N2 and have just replaced alternator and indicator stalk. Now airbag light is on and a scan tool will not link via the scan port. Have tried various scanners and one through a VW mechanic.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 9 months ago.

Check fuse 12 (7.5a) it is the power supply for the OBD port. You should have power from the battery at pin 16 of the OBD even with key off.

The airbag light will light if you turned the key on at all with the airbags disconnected, though there is also a chance that you can mess up the spiral spring when removing it. Once you can read faults you should be able to clear this and see if it returns.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Replied to email but you have not received it? Have checked OBD port and can not get any voltage from pin 16 Fuses all appear to be OK but different layout to what you have suggested. Fuse 12 appears to be for a light. ca I send you scan of fuse layout? See attached files
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am still waiting for response to above information
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am still waiting on answers to my further response to your original suggestion

If you have a meter, I would check all the fuses for power on both sides of the fuse (there are little tabs on the back of the fuse to access both legs) especially the ones denoted in the layout by an engine with a lightning bolt through them. Check them with key off, and key on (some are powered only with key on, but OBD should be powered at all times)

Do you have a small fuse block on the battery area?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I have checked all fuses including the fuses on top of the battery with both test light and multimeter

Everything I see says fuse 11 in your fusebox should be for the datalink connector, and for the cluster and air conditioning. 5a fuse

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Issue remains unsolved. As I have said previously I checked all fuses and have now rechecked fuse 11 which has power both sides of the fuse. Note: We are 16 hours ahead of US time zone
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
It appears that you are unable to help me with this issue