Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Help. I have a 1991 Toyota coaster bus, 3.5lt deisel.

Customer Question

Help. I have a 1991 Toyota coaster bus, 3.5lt deisel. Regular service with new filters etc. Recon fuel pump and new solenoid 15,000km ago. Recon radiator and new water pump. Most of exhast replaced but does need new exhast brake. Well cared for and runs well. Has developed engine stutter/ struggling at speeds over 85km. Starts well, idles fine, takes the hills fine, foot down hard or soft all fine until it gets over 85km then it's struggling slow down and all OK again. Pull over and turn engine off for a few minutes then start and go again and can get up to 100m just fine for about 5km then it starts struggling again. I stopped and turned off 3 times on a 120km trip and this happened each time. What on earth is the problem??? I'm a 47 women who Dosnt understand too much about motors but know enough to keep it well serviced.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Even though the pump was replaced or reconditioned it is possible the pump is intermittently causing weak fuel pressure causing this here or that there is an issue with a restriction with the fuel filter needing replaced to correct this fault.If you can I would have the fuel pressure tested/checked when the vehicle is acting u to see if this is the cause here needing repaired/replaced again.If this has already been checked let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete