sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a problem with my 2000 GS300 I replaced door lock

Customer Question

I have a problem with my 2000 GS300
I replaced door lock actuators then key fobs didn't work.
After resetting ecu it worked for a short period.
At the present the only way it locks is manually on driver door(internal lock) the holding up handle.
Also, it locks /unlocks by remote twice maybe, then either by pressing unlock OR Lock it automatically sends down all windows and opens sunroof.
Can you suggest my next steps?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The problem may be the fob itself or a low battery. Has the fob battery been tested or replaced?

Did the problem start with both fobs at exactly the same time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
both instantaneously stopped working together.
Also, they work until the part where the windows and sunroof open. Then only again when I lock the car manually on inside of door and hold handle up and close door
Then, it will lock -unlock a few times, then the Windows and sunroof open- and they stop operating.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He car sits in the Garage and rarely gets driven. I wondered if the car battery might be the issue. Also I have 2x Lexus' and wondered if the remotes may somehow interfere and cause it to lose the programming.

The power locks work correctly from the switches inside, or do the power locks stop working entirely?

Why were the actuators replaced and where did the parts come from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replaced 2 of the actuators motors 6 months ago and it worked fine.
Recently, another one started not working and replaced it.
All of the doors lock and unlock manually, just not with the key fob

I assumed you could lock them manually but I'm trying to determine if you are losing power lock functions entirely or only from the key fob.

Where did the replacement actuators come from?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I got them from a place in the US that sells reproduction actuators. I acknowledge they are non genuine but they all seem to work with the manual door lock function and did work fine up until yesterday with the key fob.

So when the key fob doesn't unlock the doors you're only able to lock and unlock them manually, you lose power locks also?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No the key fob stopped and the windows and go sunroof down afterwards but the manual door lock never stops working.

I did note that the manual locks still work, I'm concerned with the power locks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
By power locks. Do you mean each doors' actuator motor locking the door?

Power locks are the locks operating electrically, either from the key fob or the power lock switches in the car.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well in that case yes they operate and all lock via the switch on the doors. The key fob does not trigger them except for that anomole with power switch on door -hold handle up - close door. This will lock the car then the key fob works once or twice

Have the fob batteries been replaced or tested?

Have the fobs been tested for signal presence and strength when they will not work?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No they haven't. I did swap one of my other lexus' keys' battery's over to exclude the battery but have not purchased a brand new battery.
Also I'm uncertain of the condition of the actual car battery but starts fine etc.
Also turning the key lock on the outside door handle does not trigger central locking but the power switch on inside of drivers door does activate all locks.

You mentioned attempting to reset the fobs. Can you elaborate on that?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I read this on a club Lexus forum:
There apperently is a sequence where you lock the car- lock 5x turn ignition etc etc
And it is supposed to program a new key to the car.
I suspect it didn't work because the doors lock -unlock once if accepted and twice if unsuccessful.

Have you tried a battery disconnect?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it happend 2 weeks ago and it solved the problem but it has appeared again and the battery disconnect (even for an hour) doesn't work

Both fobs worked correctly after the battery disconnect two weeks ago and then stopped working again at the exact same time?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
that's correct.

It would be a good idea to have the fobs tested but if they both come and go at the same time then you almost surely have a bad keyless entry receiver.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Is that a part coded to the car or can it be a part from the wreckers

The key fobs would have to be programmed to it once installed.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Out of pure frustration I pulled apart the doors again and realised the door lock barrel rod had come free. This has presumably gained the use of key fob again. (This could have been the reason all windows came down. Perhaps it was forcing the lock rod on actuator down. The same as you do on the key fob to get the same result)
There is a but,
Now there is a repeated triggering of (I think all) door locks. I can hear it cycle approx 1 Sound every second or a bit faster.
It sounds as if something is jammed but is sounds like it's the ecu part on the door not the actuator but I can't be sure.
I had to disconnect battery for thisevening as its getting late.

You have disarm switches on the back of the lock cylinders, correct?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think there is a switch as such on the locks cylinders.
But I'm not exactly sure what you mean.
Just a rod going to the actuator, no wires.
The switch is in the actuator mech I would think.

Do you have the VIN?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If have to wait until I got home from work.

Ok.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've got the key fobs working but one door is locking when others are unlocked and vice Versace. I replaced the actuator and again with the whole lock assembly. What could that be?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vice versa. Not Versace .

What door has the issue?

What was done to repair the original problem?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pardon that last question It is fixed now. Made an error. Used old actuator. (Have put door lock in and out so many times I'm getting delusional)
So in conclusion.
The door lock rod from actuator was stuck (popped off the handle clip over time) and caused the actuator and door ecu to think the "hold lock" function was on that winds down Windows and opens sun roof.
Also the cheap Chinese door lock actuator must not have liked this and burnt out causing it to not work.
Thanks for your help and time.

I'm glad you got it fixed!