Doug
Doug, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Factory trained technician
21364095

I've got a 09 lancer want to do a filter and oil change on

Customer Question

I've got a 09 lancer want to do a filter and oil change on CVT any tricks or tips I need to know
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

These are pretty straight forward , no real surprises.

The biggest and most important thing is that you use only the genuine Mitsubishi CVT fluid. This is something that must be followed without exception... there is no 100% safe substitute for this fluid, and it takes as little as 4 ounces of incorrect fluid to begin causing damage. This is without a doubt the most important thing, that you use the proper fluid.

The oil pan has a 19mm drain plug on it you can use to drain the fluid out. It will drain between 4 and 5 liters from the drain plug.
If you wish to change the filters, there are potentially two on this model. All F1CJ CVT transmissions have a valve body filter. This is changed by removing the transmission oil pan to gain access, then there is a pancake style filter bolted to the bottom of the valve body. Note that if you change this, expect to lose more fluid than if you just do a pan drain.
If you have the on-transmission cooler (most do) identifiable by the round aluminum "can" on the top with coolant hoses going to it, there is a second filter inside here as well. To change this there are four bolts holding the "can" to the transmission then it can be removed and the cooler filter is behind it.

Once you have the filters changed and pan replaced etc, you would add the same amount of fluid you removed back into the transmission via the dip stick tube. Once you are close (within a quart or so) you can run the engine and begin checking the level. The engine must be running to get an accurate reading on the dipstick, and it is more accurate if the transmission is warmed up.

When the fluid is refilled and correct, you are all set. If you have high miles I strongly recommend you get it to either a dealership or a full service repair shop with a professional scan tool and have the CVT oil degradation count reset. The transmission computer constantly calculates the CVT oil break down based on temperatures, speed, mileage etc, and it adjusts the CVT operation to compensate for the oil degradation. With the fluid replaced with fresh, it is best to reset this counter so the computer knows the fluid is new again and can adapt "new fluid" values for the best performance.
If the vehicle has very low mileage (under 50k km etc) this is not so big of a deal, but as the mileage goes up this becomes more and more important, and for the best results you really want the computer to know the fluid is new.

If you have further questions on this just let me know and we can continue as needed.

Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

I am going to be leaving for the night shortly, but if you still need help just post here and I will get with you as soon as I return.