Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

We have a 2003 Mercedes smart car and the car turns over but

Customer Question

hi we have a 2003 Mercedes smart car and the car turns over but is not starting
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
also, the other day after not driving car for 2 weeks, after starting the car cut out whilst driving but after we pulled over the Smart car started again
Expert:  Pete replied 10 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

In allot of cases what causes this here on this model can be a weak fuel pump or faulty crank position sensor.Both of these are common for this issue here needing replaced.

One way to check the crank position sensor is with a scan tool or computer plugged into your vehicle that can communicate with the engine computer to observe the rpm signal.If when cranking over the engine if there is no rpm signal at all this indicates that the crank sensor is at fault needing replaced.If there is an rpm signal when cranking over the engine this can indicate the fuel pump may be at fault.

From here the fuel pressure would need to be tested to verify it is the cause and then if found to be low or no pressure at all the fuel pump itself will usually require replacement.

If both of these have been checked already and found o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete