Doug
Doug, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Factory trained technician
21364095

I have a 1999 Mitshubishi Challenger 4wd wagon. I replaced

Customer Question

I have a 1999 Mitshubishi Challenger 4wd wagon. I replaced spug plugs and leads and had to remove manifolds to do so. After reassembling and making sure all electrical plugged in, the car doesn't start? I checked there's spark on end of spug plug leads and petrol is ok, but must be something simple that caused it to unable to fire up. Have you any troubleshooting procedures I might have missed, please?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Doug replied 10 months ago.

Since it was running before hand we definitely know something went awry during the maintenance, so first things first I would want to go back and double check all of your connections again and wiring for damage. You have spark and fuel so we know the crank sensor is plugged in/intact, but I would also want to check the cam sensor connector... it is mounted right next to the crank sensor connector and in addition to possibly being unplugged, we often see people accidentally pinch the wiring to these under the support bracket etc.
The main harness to the injectors of course should be checked though it usually is not unplugged during this job.

On the top of the throttle body if you have EGR there are two hoses there that you need to make sure are not reversed. The forward-most hose should make a 90 degree turn and go toward the windscreen and the one nearest the windscreen should go straight across the intake when hooked up properly. When reversed it will cause very hard starting and stalling.

I would also want to make sure the spark leads are routed correctly; if they get mixed up at all, the engine won't run on this model (as opposed to running poorly). Standing in front of the vehicle looking at the engine, the plug terminals on the coils from left to right are 5-2-1-4-3-6. The right side (as you look at the front of the engine) cylinders are numbered 2-4-6 front to rear; the left side (again as you look at the front of the engine) are 1-3-5 front to rear.

If you have everything routed correctly, no pinched or unplugged wires, no reversed vacuum lines etc... then all that I could expect would be a massive vacuum leak (plenum gasket most likely). These gaskets are very particular... you can reuse the factory ones usually one time, and that is it. You can use aftermarket as long as they are flat steel gaskets... you can not use paper, cork, or metal fiber gaskets; they all leak on this platform. Likewise you can not use any gasket sealant on these... it will cause a leak, even on the factory gaskets. They must be the flat steel gaskets and used dry.
If you suspect an issue there, then you can have a helper crank the engine while you spray around the mating surfaces with brake cleaner; if there is a leak it will draw it in and likely cause the engine to try to fire briefly.