sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2010 Kia Optima and just replaced fuel filter

Customer Question

I have a 2010 Kia Optima and just replaced fuel filter inside tank. The pump will push fuel out when fuel line disconnected but won't push through to engine side?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  K. Wiggins replied 10 months ago.

Hello, have you checked to see if the pump is getting a full 12 volts? If it is not the impellers in the pump will not spin fast enough to push the fuel at the proper pressure.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I will check with multimeter but the car started immediately after replacing filter then ran for 2mins.
Flow from pump seemed sufficient it's like it has an air lock in the fuel lines, but disconnecting on engine side you think it should push it through. Pressing the start button without foot on brake starts pump for about 2 seconds. Is there anyway of keeping the pump going without burning out starter motor?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did have hooked up to another vehicle with jumper leads so you would think it was getting 12v plus

Th pump is most likely bad since it is not flowing enough with proper voltage. To make the pump run without damaging the starter you can remvoe the fuel pump relay and use a jumper wire from terminal 30 to 87

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Seems strange why the pump is faulty as it was fine before replacing filter
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If you have low fuel pressure then there is either an issue with the pump or a loss of proper power or ground. A headlamp or fog lamp bulb should be used to ensure there is proper power and ground.

If power and ground are good yet fuel pressure is low then the issue is in the tank. Either the pump motor is failing or pressure is being lost due to the pump sucking air or pressurized fuel may be leaking after the pump motor but before it leaves the tank. Since the issue started after having the pump apart there may be an issue with the work that was done. The pump will need to be inspected visibly, if no problems are damaged are found then the pump assembly should be replaced.