Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

Ew, Raelene here. My 1984 323 double barrell carb 1500,

Customer Question

Customer: Hi Drew, Raelene here. My 1984 323 double barrell carb 1500 , cranks but won't start i've replaced the coil and ignighter and put in new plugs ,the leads appear to be in good condition and the petrol pump is working . cheers
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: It was randomly stalling out when it got to running temp , then would start again and run fine until it warmed up again . replaced the coil at this point and it was working fine for about a week then the same thing happened again so replaced igniter and plugs . went for less than a day and now won't start at all.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Mazda Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yeah that all good
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Raelene,

Did you replace the rotor button and distributor cap?

Could also be the pickup assembly inside the distributor.

Is yours a single or twin carb engine?

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Gary , double barrel single carby , have had to order both a new pickup and rotor as neither are available in Darwin . The distributor cap, however , is only 2 weeks old. I have sent my boys on a scavenger hunt around the local area in search of a second hand distributer , ( but i'm not holding my breath , waiting for either old or new ).
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Raelene,

I will agree with what you are doing.

More than likely the reluctor pickup coil is your faulty part.

I had the twin carb 1500 a few years back.

Good little cars, those early Mazdas.

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi Gary, thanks for your advice . My son and I both love our little mazda's sadly getting parts for them is getting more difficult.
We did however find an old Ford Laser at 1 of the local car recycling yards and when we dismantled the distributor from it were pleasantly surprised that it was in great condition , so popped it onto the old girl ,along with a new o ring , and it fired up straight away and isn't missing a beat.
Thankyou for your assistance with my problem and i hope that it may help other people to know that ford laser parts can make decent substitutions in some cases. Cheers Raelene.
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi Raelene,

Good to hear you have fixed your car.

The early laser and 323s are the same car with some cosmetic differences.

Come back any time.

Regards

Gary