Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

Mazda bt 50 2013. Steering very heavy. Worse on a hot day.

Customer Question

Mazda bt 50 2013. Steering very heavy. Worse on a hot day. Plenty of oil in resovoire
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 11 months ago.

Hello

1st check the colour of the oil as if its anything other than a dark red then it needs to be replaced, as worn oil can have a very strong effect on the efficacy of the power steering

if thats OK I'd suggest o jack the front of the car up so both wheels are off the ground and move the raod wheel form lock to lock by hand feeling for any tight spots

and if thats OK then I'd check for a worn strut bearing

to feel if there's a worn strut top bearing then lightly hold the spring by hand and have your assistant move the steering from left to right with the wheel on the ground - a worn bearing will feel 'notchy' through the spring. The wheel needs to be on the ground for the test to load up the bearing