Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

I have a 2005 Merc. Sprinter with sprintshift gear box. It

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Merc. Sprinter with sprintshift gear box. It continues to jump out of 1st gear particularly on low revs. I have had the gearbox and clutch fully rebuilt at a cost of about $8500 but it still continues jump out of 1st. As you have to put your foot on the brake to re-engage the gears I am just waiting for someone to run up my bum. Mercedes are no help.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Have you had the fault codes checked at all to see what codes are set with this issue here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Can you post the code info that came up when the codes were checked here?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have no idea what they were. It is now about 12 months ago.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

Is your check engine light on now or any other warning lights on the dash?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No lights. According to the Mercedes computer diagnosis nothing is untoward.
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

When it jumps out of first is it jumping to neutral or to another gear?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Neutral
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

O.k.,with the transmission/gear box already being fully rebuilt and if this was an issue before and after it was rebuilt this sounds like a fault with the transmission control module/computer.I have seen this fail before in the past needing replaced to correct this type of fault here when it isnt a mechanical fault in the transmission/gearbox itself.I suspect yours needs replaced.I dont see this as a sensor or wiring fault as usually the fault would occur all of the time if this was the case here.

The replacement will have to be set up and programmed usually using a dealers SDS machine plugged into your vehicle.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete