Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

My son's car shut down automatically after 1 to 2 minutes of

Customer Question

Hi, my son's car shut down automatically after 1 to 2 minutes of taking off. Mechanics couldn't find the problem. My son thinks it may be electrical but he doesn't really know. I have told him to sell the car as it is but he wants to know so he can advise the next owner. Can you help please?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

What make and model of vehicle do you have?

What engine and transmission?

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi there,

Do you still need help with your car?

Gary

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hey Gary, sorry for the late response.Anyways my Names Alastair and ive had problems with my hyundai scoupe 97 it also has a turbo installed.anyways my car has been jolting a lot to the point where it will completly shut its self off in the middle of the road, usually when this occurs, the engine check light flashes either seconds before it will happen and mostly durring.i have had dynostics mechanics come around and use equipment but due to the late module of my car it was unnavle to read or find the problem due to old cpu. now most mechanics i have taken it to have all suggested that it could possibly be an electrical problem l/cpu problem, however i am no expert but have down a bit of research myself and came across the same symptoms with the symptoms of a bad fuel pump! i havent been able to get my car to a mechanics to get that checked out and confirmed if that is the possible problem.also the car will run for a few minutes and switch off, sometimes it takes a couple of clicks before the car turns on again, what i have notice if it helps, is that the jolting seems to begin once the turbo kicks in, so im not to sure if that would play a part!..i dont know to much about cars, but i did purchase that vehicle 5 years ago as is, ive had a to do a reconditioned engine on it plus as well as replacing old turbo with a new turbo! there has been other issues with fumes and smoke coming out if certain tubes but that was all fixed but im just thinking now that when all of this was taking place hat it was possible that maybe something wasnt fixed right for it to be in the state it is in now??.. im not sure just speculating..kind regards
Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Difficult to say what your problem is.

How old is the fuel filter?

How old are the spark plugs?

Is the jolting instantaneous as you hit some boost, or takes a second or so?

A bit concerned with your statement of "fumes", how many kms has this engine done?

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 10 months ago.

Hi again,

Have you had any success with your misfire problem?

I did have one a few years ago where the ECM was knocked by the drivers feet, with a plug partly disconnected.

Regards

Gary