Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Name is ***** *****
, I have a 06 sr5 d4d months.i have

Customer Question

Customer: hi there.name is ***** *****
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have a 06 sr5 d4d for 8 months.i have a problem with cutting out at idle but only every now and then.mainly when engine itself is not warmed up.pull up and start to get a fuel rattle but if I flick ignition off and on quickly it comes good pretty much straight away.sometimes it also just pitters out at lightalmost stalls with no rattle and go to take off and there is no throttle .just seems to be idling or maybe just above idle enough to just gain momentum.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: if I get fix this problem,certainly
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

This sounds like a possible fuel issue with a lack of fuel to the engine intermittently.This may be due to a fuel pump/injection pump intermittently acting up causing this fault here needing replaced.I have seen this pump fail before on other models in the past needing replaced.If the fuel system has not been checked/tested at all this needs done and if a fuel issue is found it will need repaired to correct this here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
hi pete. thx for responding. i was a mechanic 30 yrs ago. before all computers took over. there seems to be some different opinions on these problems in d4d,s. has got me stumped. toyoya says COULD be injectors but when driving on throttle run quiet and perfectly..
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

Is there any excess smoke from the exhaust at all with this issue here at idle or start up or when driving it?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
doesnt seem to be. once it gets the loud fuel rattle(?). you know in a matter of 3 to 5 seconds its going to stop except if you flick ignition key of and on quickly then it start running good again.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

This is a tough one for me to be able to answer myself here.I will have to open your question up for others here to see if anyone else can assist further on this.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
when its giving this stalling prob. you give it a rev standing still up two say 2000 rev and take foot of pedal it will do same . start rattling and then stall.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
thanks pete. i know its a tricky one. i think unless you really know these d4d motors its hard.