Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

I have a 2005 Toyota Prado Auto and when I put it in reverse

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Toyota Prado Auto and when I put it in reverse it is as if it is in neutral. I have turned it of and on, still the same problem. I then drove it forward and it only get to about 3rd gear and wont change up to top gear. Any thoughts?
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry got one of the symptoms wrong, it wont go beyond first gear when going forward.
Expert:  Pete replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

This type of fault here can be caused by an issue with the shifter cable corroded and binding causing an issue with it not shifting properly in and out of each gear position.This will cause the issues you see here.I would have the shifter and shifter cable inspected for any issues and if any faults are found the affected component (shifter or shifter cable) will need replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete