Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

I had a diagnostic scan done today. Audi A4 3.2 quattro 2009

Customer Question

I had a diagnostic scan done today. Audi A4 3.2 quattro 2009 and code *p20700 - Intake Manifold Tuning (imt) Valve Stuck Open. The guys said the tuning/runner valve needs to be replaced along with a Decarb due to excessive carbon build up. What is the part number for the valve? I read that this was a common problem with this model and that Audi were replacing them but I suspect I've missed the boat on that opportunity. I live in Australia.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

You might check with a dealer to see if there is any extended warranty or replacement help for the tuning valve.It is common for carbon to cause the valve to become damaged and a carbon clean and valve replacement usually corrects this here.My info isnt showing me the exact part number on this on your model here but if you contact a dealers parts department by phone or stopping by with your vehicles VIN number they can usually tell you the part number and/or sell it to you for replacement.

I would check with the dealer to see if there is any special replacement on this for you as you may get this repaired at no or little cost to you.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, sorry for the delay in answering but it's a very busy time of the year over here with summer holidays and NYE all happening. So much distraction.
In any case, I'm afraid I wasn't able to actually make much use of your initial, basic response as I was already on the trail of speaking with service shops, dealers and part suppliers to see if I could get something conclusive on the problem.
The service diagnostic read as I previously advised and oddly the guys who gave me that report and a price to fix, say they'd "misplaced" the part numbers and the parts house who gave the numbers to them had already left for the NYE break!
Anyway, with a bit more sleuthing the best I came up with from a BMW dealership (with the proviso that they had not seen the car) was that the likely part was either a manifold drive unit with flap ( Part # *****) or (less likely they say) a potentiometer ( part # *****).
I have sourced these parts but everything's closed down here until at least Monday so nothing else to do really.
I think I'll take the car into the dealer and get them to have a look at the manifold and air intake area to see whether they concur that these parts are indeed the parts at issue. If they are ok, that's good - at least diagnosed properly. If not, well, I start again!
Sorry I was not able to avail myself of much of your wisdom but it became clear that without the dealer actually seeing the car, I was pretty much working blindfold.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
will see what happens next on Monday ......
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Pete, I want to wait to rate you until after contact the dealer's service centre on Monday as I may then have further input for you to respond to. Your initial response was very basic indeed as it was clear that you too, needed more information which I still don't yet have.
So can you please hold off on sending me requests to rate you right now.
Many thanks, Jim
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay as I was off line the past couple of days.

No problem,reply here when your ready.

Thanks Pete