Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Based on my own observations, and the feedback from on the

Customer Question

Based on my own observations, and the feedback from Brian on the 2011 Golf 1.4 TSI I have concluded that cyl. #1 is damaged by piston ring failure and/or piston damage of some sort, causing oil from the sump to enter the combustion chamber, and disappear thru the exhaust system.
Corrective action would require engine removal. Providing the cylinder wall isn't damaged ( which it probably is ) the piston/rings could be replaced. If the cylinder is damaged a short block or a replacement engine would be required.
Questions:
- Is there a shortblock available from VW or other source?
- What is the cost?
- Is there a replacement engine, new or used available from a source?
- What is the cost?
- Has VW addressed the problems this engine has, if so what improvements have been made, and how does VW address the high cost of ownership of this car?
- Is there an alternate engine that could be installed?
The status of this car is currently, that it's not economically repairable i.e. scrapyard at 71000 kms.
Any Ideas??Best Regards, ***** *****
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Hi Erik. Glad to hear that you were able to determine what the problem was.. Sorry to hear that it's not a simple fix. To answer your question, I am unsure of what is available in New Zealand. Here in the states, we have Jasper Engines, and multiple other places to obtain a short block, but I rarely use any of them. I usually rebuild my own engines and use a local machine shop for any machine work that I need done. If the block is damaged, then I usually pick up another engine off craigslist or the junk yard and tear it apart for the parts I need. As far as what VW has done to address this issue, or what other engines may be a perfect swap, I can't honestly say as I don't know. I would suggest calling VW customer care and addressing this with them.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Brian, I appreciate your feedback. We have been thru the VW customer "care" phase, that's why we tried you. VW was totally unresponsive both in Australia and New Zealand. I would have thought that with you being in the business you might have a feel for VW's customer response ( or lack thereof ) in the US to these Golf 1.4TSI problems. That not being the case, I thank you for your input.Sincerely,Erik Thomsen