Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Holden Barina TM 2015 auto. Car is five days old, 500km.

Customer Question

Holden Barina TM 2015 auto. Car is five days old, 500km. Problem (if it is a problem) is a noise coming from the auto transmission when you turn off the engine and leave the vehicle. Using a stethoscope the noise is loudest at the top cover of the transmission. . About 15 seconds after leaving the vehicle there is a quite audible d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d.d. etc. which goes on for 25 MINUTES when there is a faint click and it stops. (a bit like tappet noise in an old ohv engine, but In the garage the noise is audible a couple of rooms away. Out in the open with some background noise it is difficult to hear. If you open a door while it is d.d.d.d.d. ing the noise stops, then starts again when you close the door. If you lean in through the window and activate any electrical component e.g. a light, the noise stops, but will start again in about 15 seconds and in these instances go for only 15 MINUTES or so. While the noise seems to come from the auto it seems to be electrically related. I do not know if it is there and operating something while the car is being driven. This car replaced a 2012 barina tm auto (same car) which also made a noise as above, but only a higher pitched buzz and only for about 15 seconds at a time.
Holden dealer seems to think it might be normal. It certainly does not sound normal - it's not a Citroen or Renault!! Can you help?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi there,

I have worked for Holden for 30 years, have yet to see or hear a TM Barina do this.

I would get your dealer to reinspect the car.

Sounds like a wiring fault or programming issue.

Has the car got any accessories fitted by yourself or the selling dealer?

Gary

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for the above which I think could be helpful. I am terrified that a not very competent service manager will start looking at transmission problems and dismantle the gearbox on a one day old car! You clearly do not think this is the problem. I think the solution will be simpler like you suggest i.e. a wiring or programming fault. The X model has sunroof, fog lights, and auto lights added by Holden. I have not added anything. The dealer principal is determined to resolve the issue when he returns from holidays next Monday. So, hopefully all will be well. I looked at and listened to 4 similar cars (2 the same) in Penrith this afternoon. None had this fault.
Thank you again,
Graham White
Expert:  Gary replied 11 months ago.

Hi Graham,

I am very interested in what is wrong with car, ESPECIALLY since you have already been told it is normal.

I nearly fell off my chair, and I'm sure you felt the same.

I've had many odd "one-off" cases, a lot of near new cars with faults that just don't happen.

Can't wait to hear the dealers response.

Disappointed they would sell a car clearly faulty.

The car will have DTCs set in one or modules.

Talk soon.

Gary