sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have a 2011 RAV4 CV, the back door which has the spare

Customer Question

Customer: I have a 2011 RAV4 CV, the back door which has the spare tyre mounted to will not unlock. The actuator does not appear to be working, I cannot hear or feel a 'clunk' when operating unlock button on keys and the unlock switches on the drivers door. I have purchased a new actuator, however unless I can unlock the door I can't replace it, can the door be opened in any other way other than using the unlock buttons?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: I have explained it fully
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

If it will not unlock with the power locks then the linkage on the latch will need to be moved by hand to unlock it and open the swing gate. What will need to be done is remove the trim panel for access. The panel is held on with conventional type push in door panel clips around the perimeter. What you'll need to do is get behind the panel with something such as a door panel clip tool and work your way around the panel popping the clips loose to remove the panel. Once the panel is off then you can move the lever on the latch to unlock it and open the swing gate to replace the latch, assuming the linkage will move. If it will not move by hand then the latch will need to be broken up/dismantled until the pawl can be reached to move it manually to open it.