gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, Technician
Experience:  VW Technician, VW FastTrack, VW Academy, VW Certified
12249065

Noisy whining noise coming from engine, think it's a belt

Customer Question

Customer: Noisy whining noise coming from engine, think it's a belt proble
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: T-Belt light has been on for a while, noise has been getting worse over past week or so. Gets noisy when i start it up but then seems to go after a bit of driving. Also seems to be worse when the days temperature is hotter
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Toyota Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: sure
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The nosie is also happening when car idles. The noise is bad enough whine for people to turn around to see whats going on. As I drive it tends to go away. If I top an turn the engine off, when i restart the engine the noise starts again
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My major concern is I a intending to drive 300km back home for Xmas tomorrow and then 300km back on Sunday. No mechanics couldn't see my car today due to closing for Xmas and none will be open until Monday. Will iI be ok to drive home over the weekend and then get the car seen to when I return? Or shouldn't i risk the trip?
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 year ago.

I would pop the hood before starting it, and then jump out after starting and see if you can isolate the sound, or at least the general area.

If it is the accessory drive belt, try spraying a little water, or if you have belt dressing spray, on it and see if it goes away. Sometimes a belt is just "sticky". Don't use a lubricant though, you need that belt to not slip.

There are also a series of rollers that have bearings in them, you can try spraying a little lube on the ends of these with the belt running and see if it changes. If you have a long metal rod, you can also touch the end of it to non-moving parts and hold it near your ear, and see if it transmits the sound through, like a doctor's stethoscope. Often you can isolate a bearing in one of the rollers using this method to differentiate where the sound is strongest. You can touch the bolt on the end of the pulley as it is not moving.

I can't say about the trip- the fact that the sound goes away is encouraging, but I can't give you a guarantee per se.

If it is the accessory drive belt, and it fails, it will leave you without power steering, or charging system for the battery.

If you have any friends who are handy, you may want to have them listen and give their opinion of the severity.