Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota/Lexus expert
Experience:  30 + years experience with Toyota products
14892859

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee that brakes keeps locking

Customer Question

I have a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee that brakes keeps locking up when initially started and trying to drive of. The ABS and a few lights are on the dash. The mechanic replaced wheel speed sensors and is now telling me that I need a clock spring. This part is very expensive. Any workaround?
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. I see that you have requested a live call; I will attach the necessary screen.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Someone please help me?

I can help you via live chat or via phone.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Did you see my question?

yes. Do you want to do a phone conversation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How does that work?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Are you familiar with the problem I am having?

You click on the phone call icon.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can we just chat?

Sure. What you have here is a severe case of mis-diagnosis. The clock spring has nothing to do with the ABS activating

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok well I was told this by the dealer and another individual
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said the clock spring and angle sensor go together

The ABS and the Supplemental Restraint System (the air bags) are two different entities.

If the ABS is activating when you press on the brakes, you have a wheel speed sensor issue, or, you have that what the wheel speed sensor 'reads' as the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Have you seen this issue with the wheels locking up. If i put in park then back in drive it tends to stop. But If I turn off and restart the problem starts again., once I get going the problem stops.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it happens when I initially start and try to drive off
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He recently changed a speed sensor and now the problem occurs when I turn the steering wheel
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Any Idea what this may be or what I need to do? I am so stressed out.

We have encountered this issue a lot of times. Sometimes, the device that the sensor reads is cracked. This does not allow the sensor to 'count' the revolutions of the device. The device is a 'toothed gear'. The sensor counts the teeth. If there is a problem, the count is reset and the count begins over. This mimics a zero rpm signal of that wheel, which tells the ABS computer that the wheel is skidding (like braking on ice). The thing to do here is have them do a real-time live-data diagnosis on the wheel speed sensors. This is done with their scan tool. They can read what each of the 4 wheels are doing as the vehicle is driven. If any of the reading change, that is where to look. Just because the vehicle has a speed sensor code does not mean the sensor is bad. Rust between the 'teeth' of the read gear can cause a speed sensor code. I would hate to see you buy a clockspring and the problem still be there. If you have a angle sensor issue, you would have an angle sensor code, and they would not have replaced any wheel speed sensors.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, so can you replace an angle sensor without a clock spring?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This clock spring is like $800

Depends on the system.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They said they come together or something like that
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Its one system
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not know what to do. Any advice?

I would get another opinion. You need to eliminate any wheel speed sensor causes. It is possible that the angle sensor is bad, but I would want 100% proof before I spent that money on a guess.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Anything that I should try or is there a workaround?

No workarounds. Sorry. This needs to be diagnosed properly. You cannot defeat a wheel speed sensor or an angle sensor.