Jay
Jay, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Nissan Certified, ASE Certified, 20+ years automotive experience
10181755

I have a 2002 march with a 1400cc motor. now when it is cold

Customer Question

Customer: hi there I have a 2002 march with a 1400cc motor. now when it is cold runs rough when the cold temp light goes out runs smooth ,cheak engine light is on and have had it scaned it come up with crank senor and valve timing faults, the experts are saying it is the timing chain your throughts
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: its like it is running rich when it is cold if you try to give it trootle it coughs and try to die
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $20) to post your type of question to Nissan Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yep
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** thank you for your question.

This sounds more like a head gasket issue. These engines today use a Metal Headgasket so they act differently that the old style paper gasket. When you had a Paper gasket blow, the engine doesn't run right and it will never clear up. With metal head gaskets, the way the actually show they have a problem is after the car has been driven and then let it sit. When you let it sit, the coolant system as it cools seeps into one or more cylinders. When this happens when you go to first start the car it will run ruff for a few and it will smell like it's running rich cause coolant doesn't burn and the gas hits the coolant and mixes with it to finally burn it. The way to verify is to add a dye to the coolant system when the engine is cold. Then drive the car and when you are going to let it sit, pull all the spark plugs. So the next morning you can inspect the cylinders for traces of dye to verify my thoughts.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.

If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. That is how I get credit for my work.

I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.

Thanks Jay!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
If that is the case why would it come up with engine fault codes for crank sensor and valve timing
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

What are the exact code numbers?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Sorry I don't have the numbers just no that crank angle sensor and valve timing were the 2 that came up when it was scanned
Expert:  Jay replied 11 months ago.

I would need the codes to really determine. It could be when it misfires it throws crank sensor code or when it misfires it throws the intake timing code.. It's hard to really determine with out the exact code numbers