Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

I have a hyundai terracan 2.9 diesel the engine check light

Customer Question

i have a hyundai terracan 2.9 diesel the engine check light come on when you are looking for power.there are two faults found on the scanner P1543 brake switch input error and P1119 fuel supply malfunction
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

The code for the fuel supply malfunction is the cause for the low power.This is most of the time caused by a fault with a restricted fuel filter needing replaced or an issue with the fuel pump or one or more injectors at fault.The fuel filter usually in most cases causes this.If it hasnt been replaced recently in the last 10,000 miles or last year it needs replaced.If found to be o.k. then the pump and injectors need tested to locate which is the cause here.

The brake switch code is usually caused by a faulty brake switch needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Hi just to add to your answer which I thank you for. I don't notice any loss of power. The car at times not always can be harder to start. I have been replacing the fuel filter every 10000 km and has only done 5000 km on the one in it not to say it is faulty. Thanks. Allan
Expert:  Pete replied 12 months ago.

O.k.,the code that is causing the issues here is P1119 which is related to fuel metering.This is a common fault with low fuel rail pressure or the fuel rail pressure sensor at fault.Since the filter is o.k. the fuel pressure needs tested to see if you are losing pressure.This can be caused by a weak fuel pump with its pressure dropping out or off or not enough to allow the engine to start properly.

The fuel system will need to be tested to locate which is the cause here and then repaired from there.I have seen in several cases as well where one or more fuel injectors allowing to much fuel into the engine or through its return will also cause this so these will need checked as well.

Thanks Pete