Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Was hoping to get some help with mechanical issue regarding

Customer Question

Customer: Hi, Was hoping to get some help with mechanical issue regarding ignition. Are you able to help me?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Was driving fine, all lights suddenly came on, dials went wonky, then everything back to normal. Made me think it's electrical. Stopped took the key out and tried to start it again, its going past electrics, everything inside is lighting up; but when I try to turn engine on, it doesn't even turn over. No clicking, no noise what so ever. THought it might be to do with the ignition switch? .. or starter motor? or maybe just a wire that's come out? Any ideas?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $18) to post your type of question to Australia Car Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yeah surwe
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Also tried pushing to about 10km/h and putting it in 1st and trying to start but nothing. Definitely an electrical fault, just need to know how severe. It's a manual Holden Astra 2002
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I know Holden very well, so I'll try to help you.

Your astra could have a bad crimp the battery positive and/or negative leads at the battery end.

Or the alternator isn't charging well.

If you can get the battery tested (voltage and load test), and then possibly jump start the car and check the charging volts at the battery.

A dead give away of a bad crimp is how hot the terminals get, right where the cable inner goes into the crimped terminal.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
If it does have a bad crimp, what would the damage be? Is it an easy fix?Connor
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi Connor,

The average auto electrician should be able to fix it for around $100 or less.

Easy if you have the tools to do it.

Do you have an auto electrician nearby?

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Could it be anything else? Or are you sure that's what it is?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

It could be any of many things with Astra.

Your description points to an overheating joint in a cable, but it could also be a battery failure, alternator, ECM, CAN-BUS wiring fault etc. An inspection of the battery and cables, then a Tech 2 DTC check of the vehicle would be wise to do now.

Are you near a Holden dealer?

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wouldn't be sure, just don't want to explain the problem to the dealer without a grasp on the problem.
Would there be a blown fuse? Fuse #8 to the starter motor? And would it be best to check the fuse box for a simple fix before going to the dealer?Connor
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi Connor,

If your gauges gave you an early sign of low voltage etc, I doubt if a blown fuse is your issue.

First thing I would do at home is measure the battery voltage at the battery, and then again between the alternator b+ and the engine ground with the ignitIon on. If they are the same, the crimps and cables are probably ok. If they are different by more than. 5 volt, there's a problem.

Have you had anybody look at it for you yet?

I have yet to see an Astra with a problem I could not fix.

I'm sure any Holden tech should be able to find your problem.

Gary