sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

1994 jaguar sovereign has immobilised itself and refuses to

Customer Question

1994 jaguar sovereign has immobilised itself and refuses to start
Category: Australia Car
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
All systems in the car work perfectly except starting. The dashboard symbols cycle through there sequence except in the top left hand corner of the dashboard. There is a symbol that appears to represent the transmission with X through it, this stays on permanently. Also the red led in the top center of the dashboard goes out as normal when I turn on the ignition but comes on when I turn the key to the start position
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

I'm not sure that the problem is actually related to the alarm. If it was related to factory security then you'd either see the security light flashing or staying on constantly with the key on.

Does the fuel pump run when the key is first turned on?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it does, everything seems to work perfectly but the car just won't crank. The security light acts normally in every respect. ie it's on when the car is locked, goes out when I turn the ignition on but the moment I attempt to crank the engine over it comes on. Stop trying to crank it goes out, try to crank it comes on etc. I still have this symbol in the top left hand corner of the dash that stays on when I turn on the ignition. It always used to go out after a second or two like all the other symbols but now it does'nt.

Have you cheeked for power at the starter solenoid wire with the key held in the crank position?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No power to the starter solenoid

Do you have access to a scan tool?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have a vedis2 but have no idea where to connect it as the car has onboard VCM
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Intersestingly the VCM does not come up with any faults

Does the engine controller actually communicate and you're able to read data?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Flick me your phone number and I'll call you to talk

I'm not able to talk on the phone but will be online for about another hour tonight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I guess the big question is what does the symbol in the top left corner of the dash mean

Are you able to upload a picture of it?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Will try to do so tomorrow

Great!

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Did you get my last email with the sketch?
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 12 months ago.

There are no other posts here on the page from you. A reply to me has to be posted on the page, if you replied to an email from the site that reply will not post here.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Having problems with my camera, so I've sketched a likeness of the symbol

That is indeed the transmission warning light and may be nothing to worry about.

Are you able to communicate with the transmission control module?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
To be honest I would'nt know how. As far as I know there is no scan tool port and the VCM does'nt show any faults.

Are you able to read live engine data?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No, as I said I have no way of plugging in my scan tool

You previously said you were checking for fault codes.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
using the onboard VCM yes, but no faults showed up

A scan tool will most likely be necessary to diagnose the problem.

Do you have the ability to do electrical testing?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Electrical testing is no problem. As for the scan tool, as I said I have one but no idea where to connect it

You said you can't connect it so I was assuming it isn't compatible with this old of a vehicle.

What is the brand and model of what you are trying to use?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The scan tool is a VeDis II . and I can read any vehicle that has a diagnostic port. The issue is the Jag does not have a diagnostic port to connect to.

Any vehicle with control modules has a data link connector. I don't see Jaguar listed on the scan tool site but the data link connector is under the battery area in the trunk.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I've just about turned the car upside down looking, no data link that I can find. Jaguar NZ say that there is no facility to connect a scan tool to this model.

Not the case. The factory service information shows it in the location I described. No vehicle with control modules is built without a way to communicate with them.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Okay, I'll have another look when I get home. Any idea what shape the port might be?

I believe it will be round.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
You know more than the men at Jaguar it seems, round, three pin it is. Unfortunately my VeDis has no plug to match it.

Do the blower motor and radio turn off when the key is turned to the crank position?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Have'nt tried it with the blower on, but the radio does'nt

Let's see if the blower motor turns off.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
The blower does not turn off, no current being drawn

How many terminals at the starter relay have power with the key held in the crank position?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
Just one, Ive tried all the standard tests visa vi starter relay etc, I can get the engine to crank over if I hot wire the starter motor. Nothing getting from the key to the starter circuit. The only reaction I get from trying to crank the car with the key is the alarm light comes on.

It sounds as if you have an ignition switch issue but the ignition switch is an input to a module and the module controls the starter relay, a scan tool would need to be used to monitor the signal and see if the relay was being turned on. It doesn't sound as if the switch is working if the blower motor and radio don't turn off in the crank position.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I'll try to lay hands on a different scan tool over the weekend and see what it comes up with
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 11 months ago.

Great!