Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

The immobiliser of a 1998 Camy CSI has stopped switching off

Customer Question

The immobiliser of a 1998 Camy CSI has stopped switching off when we turn the car on
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, try this as it always works with older toyotas

Open driver door and leave open. Pop the hood and disconnect the negative battery cable. Wait 60 seconds, insert the key into the ignition and turn the key to the on position. Now, reconnect the negative cable. The alarm should sound for 60 seconds and go off. Once it does, cycle key to off and then crank it

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,Thanks for your note. The result was that the flashing security light stopped, but unfortunately no change to the start. Ie cranks without firing. Of course when I took the key out the security light started flashing again and wont turn off when turning the key. The light did turn off when I disconnected the and reconnected the negative battery cable. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, this is factory alarm and antitheft system, correct

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't think there's an alarm. I've assumed that the flashing security light is the immobiliser/antitheft system.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

How many keys do you have? Also doe it have remote start or keyless entry?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
One key, nothing else; no remote.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Ok, it sounds like the immobilizer has either lost memory of the key or has failed. Unfortunately this will require a scan tool to diagnose at this point

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,Thanks for your help. You have been very professional. I was under the impression from the website that if my problem wasn't solved that I wouldn't be charged. There is a facility on the website to get a refund. I wanted to discuss this with you before upsetting you, as you don't deserve to be disappointed. I would have preferred to spend the $28 towards my upcoming Auto-electrician bill to fix this issue as the issue obviously can't be resolved remotely. I hope my query hasn't used much of your time. Is it possible that I ask for a refund yet still rate your service as high to help you?Regards ***** ***** for the inconvenience.Justin
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Since we were not able to resolve this, I understand you requesting a refund.

If you give a high rating, you will be charged the full amount. Since you are going to request a refund, just do not rate at all. And no, it doesnt upset me. I understand that some problems cannot be resolved over the internet and customers will request refunds in those cases.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you very much for your understanding and professionalism, Eric! Hopefully we'll have a win next time.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

You are welcome and have a great Christmas and New Year's