Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

1995 pajero 3.5 auto, runs rough, sluggish till 2 1/2

Customer Question

1995 pajero 3.5 auto, runs rough, sluggish till 2 1/2 thousand revs and wont hold 100 at all, runs hot to, no difference with thermostat out, everything checked, timing sensors the works grrrrr
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

In some cases this may be a fault with one or more valves in the cylinder head(s).I have seen valves that are not seating properly cause a hot running issue in some cases as well as sluggish running issues.I would have a compression test done to see if there is a low compression issue at all and if a fault is found I would have the valves checked for any issues needing repaired.If this has already been checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will do that shortly and let you know, have it in with a mate that is a mechanic atm doing all these things, its just getting to both of us haha
Fuel pump just died so will be replacing that and then do tests
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, all seated correctly, fuel pump stopped so replaced that, also cleaned and ran injectors thru a machine, runs and idles a lot better but is still surging, like lifts cpl revs and pauses millisecond then lifts and pauses millisecond till roughly 2 1/2 thousand revs.........
No codes or problems thru diagnostics but have been told there is a fuel starvation of some kind???
He clamped return line and it picked right up when in shed and unclamped it as fuel started coming out overflow
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I apologize for the delay.

If your model uses a fuel pressure regulator this regulator can fail in some cases and cause this type of fault here.If you have not had this checked/tested at all see if this is the cause as I have seen quite a few fail before.If this has already been checked/tested let me know so we can continue.

Thanks Pete