Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

I have a 1997 323I and it runs great while it is cold but

Customer Question

I have a 1997 323I and it runs great while it is cold but when it reaches normal operating temp it has no get up and go
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

I would start first with installing a fuel pressure gauge and monitor the fuel pressure while the problem is occurring to make sure the pressure is holding. If the pressure checks okay then check the exhaust back pressure to be sure there are no restriction which can cause a loss of power as well. Check these and post back with the results and we can work from there.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We went for a drive this morning and the car ran good but it was quite a cool morning and coming home this afternoon the car ran fine. i use shell 95 or 98 fuel. The car goes like a rocket when it is cold
I replaced the fuel pump several weeks ago which made some improvement and cleaning the mass air flow sensor made a lot of difference. Car has 268,000 km on the speedo. I changed the fuel filter last January 2015. I service the car
every 10,000 km and use Valvoline 15w40 DuroBlend oil
When we were diving this morning the car cut out for an instant and than was fine, the car didn't stop. the car has done this several times in the last 100,000 km
How do i check the exhaust ?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

I would go back and recheck you fuel pressure while the problem is occurring just to be sure you have proper pressure. Normal pressure needs to be at least 51 PSI under load. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there.