sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

I have recently purchased aR ,the fan belt is belching at me

Customer Question

I have recently purchased a*****R ,the fan belt is belching at me regularly when first purchased it seldomly did. The previous owner did mention that occasionally I would need to tighten it , please advise how this is done
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

You should get quite a bit of time between having to adjust the belt. The belt will wear and stretch over time but you should be able to drive it for quite some time before it's an issue, if at all. You may have an alignment issue, something leaking on the belt, or a loose or dragging accessory that's contributing to the belt noise.

The alternator should be where your belt is adjusted. There should be a pivot bolt at the top of the alternator and a tension adjusting bolt at the bottom. With the top bolt and bolt through the tensioner broken loose about a turn you can turn the adjuster bolt to pivot the alternator to add or remove tension from the belt.