Richard, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  12 years Ford Lincoln/Mercury Jaguar dealership as a technician and shop foreman reparing all makes
10437779

I am having a problem with my 2010 XF. The key remote was

Customer Question

HI Richard,
I am having a problem with my 2010 XF. The key remote was flat so I had to insert it into the slot in order to start the car. When I turned off the car the key would not release the key. When I opened the door to get out the car did not warn me to remove the key.
I then tried restarting the car and turning it off again but no change, the key would not eject from the slot. On the third attempt the key would not eject but the car did warn me to remove the key. Then I got the check key message. The car will no longer start and I have a window down - and Murphys Law its outside and its raining!
My husband managed to pull the key out with some force, however the car still thinks the key is in the car. It is not recognising the spare key only to lock and unlock - I cannot get power to close the window...what can I do?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like we may have a problem with the docking station or other control module. Using the emergency key blade if the fob does not work open the trunk and disconnect just the negative battery terminal for about an hour to see if the system will reset. If not then Jag may have to reset it and reprogram the system. Also check to make sure the battery is fully charged. Let me know.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Richard, thanks for your answer. The system reset has fixed the problem, the car has started and the key has now been released. How do I check whether the battery is fully charged?
Expert:  Richard replied 1 year ago.

Most parts stores can test the battery if you do not have a charger that can check voltage and amperage.