Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

My son has a Hyundai Elantra 2006 model that won't start. It

Customer Question

Hi my son has a Hyundai Elantra 2006 model that won't start. It has a new battery, I believe it's to do with keyless entry/immobiliser because if I press lock on the key then unlock the car will start. Any ideas please?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what is described here this sounds like a possible fault with the key itself/key remote.When you press lock and unlock then the immobilizer system is recognizing the key properly and allowing the engine to start but without pressing these buttons it isn't recognizing it.This can sometimes indicate a fault with the key itself needing replaced.

What needs to be done from here is to have the fault codes checked/read out to see what codes are set.Once this has been done any codes set will need to be diagnosed to locate and repair this fault here.I would have this done as this will help isolate the fault.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Pete
Thank you.
How do I get the fault codes sorted please?
Regards
Gina
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

What will need done is to have a scan tool plugged into your vehicle (one that can plug in and read your vehicles computers) to see what codes are set.Most all shops and a dealer will have this tool and in some cases places like Auto Zone may check the codes free of charge.Once the codes are read out they can then be diagnosed from there to locate and repair the fault here.This is the only way to get the fault codes checked as they need checked with a scan tool that plugs into your vehicle.

Thanks Pete