Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Gday, I have a 1998 Kia Sportage, the check engine light

Customer Question

Gday, I have a 1998 Kia Sportage, the check engine light comes on intermittently usually in cooler weather at night but goes off during the day when the weather is warmer. Took it to Kia and check engine light was off (during day) and no fault codes stored. Any ideas?
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** vehicle still run fine when light comes on? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it drives ok, it's just when it idles the engine "hunts" and sounds like it wants to stall. This occurs on cooler days of around 15 Celcius or less and it seems to be ok when the temperature is 25C and higher.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Having said that it was on leaving work this morning at 6am, it came on last nice at 10pm, and driving home took 5 minutes and it went off, still was hunting while it was on idling
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

It sounds like problem may be a failed thermostat, there is not many things that would be temperature related. Before replacing any parts start by checking codes. Next time light comes on drive directly to parts store and they can connect scan tool. Then let me know what codes your getting, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do they do that in Australia, I borrowed a cheap scan tool that worked on a mates Barina however it fails to link on my Sportage and the mechanics also failed to link, both just said "link failure". Would a failed thermostat affect idle and cause the car to hunt when idling?