Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

I own a 1992 318i and whenever the air conditioner is on,

Customer Question

I own a 1992 318i and whenever the air conditioner is on, the gauges on the dashboard periodically cut out momentarily (approx. 1 - 2 seconds) and then resume working. I have also had issues with the dashboard lights and the A/C switch.
Submitted: 1 year ago via TrueDelta.com.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Ok, I will need the vin number in order to pull the schematics, but offhand without referencing them, it sounds like a short in either the ac control unit if it is an automatic climate control or possibly in the IP Cluster assembly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric, sorry about the delay
The vin is WBACA32090AK62759 This morning the fault occurred without the A/C turned on. I wondered whether it could be the alternator / regulator?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Do you have a voltmeter? If so, check voltage at the battery with engine idling and all accessories off, and then with engine idling and ac, lights, and audio on and let me know the readings