Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Our gear box has had two heart attacks in 40,000 km its a

Customer Question

Our gear box has had two heart attacks in 40,000 km its a 2014 model ranger manual gear box
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Hello David,
First up, can I ask what is the nature of the failures?
Cheers
Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bearings in 6th gear was the first problem the current problem is probably the same but was grinding in all gears including reverse fault not confirmed by dealer as box removed yesterday and being sent to Perth to repairer.
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like they've missed something in the first rebuild, like layshaft bearing failure, or a swarf deposit from the first failure. I would expect a thorough job this time - no doubt a second short failure wouldn't be lost on the dealer or gearbox specialist.
Give it plenty of use over the first month to be sure you're on a good thing. Any noises whatsoever & raise it with the dealer for another warranty claim (I assume it's under warranty).
You're within your rights to demand a complete new 'box if there's more issues apparent..
Best of luck,
Scott