Curtis
Curtis, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Qualified Automotive Mechanic, LPG & Airconditioning Diagnostic Technician.
29271542

Clement was driving my vz11 v6 and it started to over heat

Customer Question

Hi Clement was driving my vz11 v6 and it started to over heat got it home and lifted the bonnet there was red liquid dripping from the engine bay near the front of the oil cooler radiator. I checked the oil and transmission all good checked the radiator and was empty. I filled it up and started the car started to drive down the road and the check power train light came on and the engine began to over heat again
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

If the coolant was leaking from the radiator area, than the radiator is the likely cause.

When you filled it up, it is probably not bled up and not full.

Look for a crack in the drivers side radiator tank.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can't see any crack in the radiator at all the sides are perfectly dry.Why would the check power train light come on
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do I bleed the radiator
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

The best way to bleed the cooling system is to use a coolant bleeding bucket.

You can make one from a plastic bottle with the bottom cut off the bottle.

The idea is to raise the coolant level to allow the air to burp out of the system.

You'll be surprised at how much more fluid it will take.

The ECM warning light is from a high coolant temperature condition.

I would take to engine covers off, and inspect everywhere else to see if it has any other slow leaks as well.

Also if the coolant overflow tank is way overfull, it will overflow and look like a leak.

The filler cap could be deteriorated and allowing the coolant to escape from the engine and overfilling the overflow tank.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm a little lost. Cut the bottom off a plastic bottle, then what
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

If you take the filler cap off, you need to make a device that can allow you to fill the coolant to a higher level than normal.

So a powerade bottle etc could have a neck that fits with a little insulation tape to build up the thread.

You'll need to crimp the overflow hose so the fluid doesn't go into the overflow tank, until you're happy the system is bled.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Radiator-Spill-Free-Funnel-Refill-Cooling-System-Bleed-Trapped-Air-Safe-Fill-Kit-/262102775995?hash=item3d068af8bb:g:~bMAAOSw3ydVy5L7

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok that seems to have worked except that when I try and add coolant to the overflow tank it only fills a little then pours out of the bottom. I can't see it as its behind the wheel cover. Is it possible that the radiator slow bled into the overflow and because it was leaking that it didn't get the water back. Could the overflow be broken
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Still getting 'steam' from the passenger side of the radiator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gary you still there
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

The overflow tank has a dipstick, the full mark is the top triangle, the low mark is the low bottom triangle, the rest are circles.

Do not fill above the top triangle, continued filling overflows out of the tank which is normal.

Have seen many filler caps fail where they lose into the tank, the tank then loses because it too full, the engine cools down but doesn't pull the coolant back.

If you see steam from the radiator, it still may have a leak within the radiator.

I would replace the cap, if you have any doubt.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thanks will go to Repco and order a new cap
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Ok, I'll wait to hear back from you after you get your new cap.

Did the system bleed up ok, and now runs without getting too hot?

Is the engine light now off?

It would have a DTC stored in the ECM from the overheat condition.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it seems to run ok, in the drive anyway, also the check power train no longer appears. Just wondering did you mean the radiator cap or filler cap? If the radiator then it's not really a radiator cap, on the alloytec its on the engine.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Yes, the cap on the engine.

It is the "radiator cap" as such, contains a pressure/vacuum valve valve assembly like a normal radiator cap.

Get a genuine cap from Holden, the aftermarket caps are not as good.

Gary