Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Have a 1997 Musso with almost 400,000 ks Engine still

Customer Question

Have a 1997 Musso with almost 400,000 ks Engine still operating perfectly, i.e until it's stopped, then radiator water blows back through the filler bottle. I have driven this car for 500 ks without a problem but at the end of the trip when the engine is stopped, significant amounts of water blows out, to the point that the top radiator hose has to be removed and water added,
this has been a magnificent machine whish I purchased new in 97.
What is 6the problem and is there a valve somewhere I don't know about?
Look forward to your help
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

There are a few different things that can cause this here that need checked into.First is to see if the thermostat is stuck closed as this is most common.If it sticks closed it will cause this and will need replaced.

Next is a restriction in the coolant system blocking coolant flow.In this case the cooling system needs flushed to remove debris and correct this here.

And last is a leaking cylinder head gasket to where it isn't leaking fluids internally or externally but instead is allowing exhaust to leak past the gasket into the cooling system.A block test with a block tester can test this and usually takes less then an hour to have tested.

All of these need checked/tested here to locate and repair the fault here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.