Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Marty I have had transmission issues with my 2006 gl500 ie

Customer Question

Hi Marty
I have had transmission issues for years with my 2006 gl500 ie sticks in a gear (usually fixes after I turn off ignition and restart vehicle)
Currently my vehicle only has park, reverse and 1st gear
It will not move out of 1st
I have had it back to mercy service where they re-set the transmission (as it had lost its memory)
Is there a fuse or fuses I can remove and reset myself to sort this issue in the short term. I intend to sell the vehicle soon
Thanks
Tony
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Most likely the dealer is resetting the transmission adaptations with their sds machine when they reset it which is something that can't be done by pulling a fuse.They may also be or instead may be clearing out the fault code(s) set with this issue which is resetting the system which is also something that can't be done without a scan tool or dealers sds machine plugged into your vehicle.

I suspect this is a fault with the transmission valve body or one of the rpm sensors or a solenoid on the valve body as this is most common for this fault here.If the service place you have taken it to has not checked into the fault fully they need to duplicate and diagnose this issue to locate and correct the fault.If they are unable or willing to do this then another service center with either experience on this model needs to do this or a dealer.In some cases they may have to hold onto the vehicle for a day or more to duplicate the fault and from there they can diagnose and repair it.I have had to do this several times before with some of my customers vehicles to be able to duplicate and repair the cause.I suspect a valve body issue or a solenoid/sensor issue on the valve body as this is most common with the affected component needing replaced.

When you cycle the key off and then back on this is resetting the fault temporarily.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.