Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

Matt i drive a 2000 jeep cheroke sport, when I turn key all

Customer Question

Hi Matt i drive a 2000 jeep cheroke sport , when I turn key all dashboard lights up all good but engine makes a click sound and do not start, it some how started in the past. How can i start the car
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is***** single click or multiple clicks? Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Single click sound
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

This most likely means the starter has failed. You can use a multimeter, access starter, and verify both wires at starter have at least 11v while trying to start, if so replace the starter. You can also remove starter and have it tested at your local parts store. Sometimes hitting starter will allow it to work again if you are stranded right now. Here are replacement instructions for starter, this would be around a $300 job at a shop. Let me know if there is anything else I can do to help. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/un9g9jnb3anwb8p/starterrr.pdf?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan , when i insert my key the lights on dashboard but engine not starting
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

If you are hearing a single click when trying to start then same thing applies. Let me know if you have questions or run into questions, you can reply to this answer at any time without additional fees. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I was advised to hit starter moter lightly , how can i start my car ?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hitting the starter lightly is your only option and that doesn't always work. Next step would be to test/replace starter. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I drive year 1999 jeep cherokee where is the starter motor ? Cam you send me a pic please ?
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Here is a picture, let me know if you have more questions. Thanks.

-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/q0ojcu6rbmvwvmv/01cher023b.png?dl=0

-

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Where should i hit it ? So it can start do i hit it and then statt ignition or after sometime or anyone should key and i hit the jump start how do you recommend
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

Hit it anywhere and you will need to hit it hard, you won't break it so don't be afraid to hit it hard. I'm only giving it about 50% that it will work. So hit starter a few times, try to start. If it doesn't work repeat a few times. If it still doesn't work you will need to replace starter. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

I'd also like to mention if it does work it is only a temporary fix so either way starter needs to be replaced. Let me know if you have more questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Dan i am sending image of my car engine can you see starter motor can you show me which ine is i coukd not follow the other image you sent please help
Expert:  Dan replied 1 year ago.

You will need to get underneath vehicle to hit starter as it is alot harder to access from on top. Once you get down there you will see it easily. I circled starter in picture you took.

-