Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

My toyota coaster 4.2 litre turbo won't start. It normally

Customer Question

My toyota coaster 4.2 litre turbo won't start. It normally starts first time but now its making a loud whirring noise when starting still turning over the motor but it does not fire and sounds real strange. The bus has been sitting for a month or so. Any ideas.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

The noise and the no start issue may be due to a fault with the fuel pump itself.If the fuel pump isn't supplying enough fuel pressure or fuel volume to start the engine this will occur.I have heard the pump cause a noise like this as well in the past with it needing replaced.I would have the fuel pressure tested and the fuel pump checked to see if this is the cause needing replaced.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Thanks for the reply. Is this likely on a diesel?
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Your welcome.I apologize for the delay.

On some models the vehicle may be equipped with a fuel pressure lift pump or low pressure fuel pump that can fail or start to fail and cause this noise and issue here.It is also possible the fuel injection pump can cause this noise and low fuel rail pressure and cause this.I would still have the fuel system tested to see if this is the cause here with low pressure or volume and the affected component replaced to correct this issue here.

Thanks Pete