Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

Having bother with my 316 n42 engine and could really do

Customer Question

hi guys having bother with my 316 n42 engine and could really do with some help it hasnt been running well and turns out the vanos is in limp mode the motor tested ok the relay is working ive checked all fuses the eccentric camshaft sensor is oil free but still no power to vanos motor i had the rocker cover off and all seems ok but since my vanos motor wont re adjust when i turn the ignition the car wont start now tried a vvt ecu but that didnt work either please someone help
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

My info is somewhat limited on your model here but I had seen no one else has responded and would like to see if I can help here.If at any time you feel that I cannot help with this please let me know.

Inspect for any wiring damage leading from the ECU to the vvt and see if any wiring shorts or breaks are found as well as corroded wiring or damaged or corroded electrical connections.This can cause this type of fault here and would need repaired if an issue is found.

If this was already checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
hi thanks for your help I found oil in an ecu plug going to my ecentric shaft sensor it has been leeking and ran up the wires so I've cleaned it all out but it still won't tell the vvt motor to set to the right position for start up. is there a chance I could damage valves if the vvt is timed wrong? also is oil in a connection a big deal as loads if mine are full of it
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

Is there any oil in the ecu or component the wiring runs to?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yeah my ecu plug is oily I'm going to clean the ecu out later do you think this is the problem? I didn't think oil was confuctive
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

The oil will damage the ecu internally and I have seen this occur several times before.If there is oil in the ecu if cleaning it out does not correct this I suspect the ECU itself is damaged needing replaced.Oil is common when it works its way into an ecu to damage it as I have seen on several models before.

Thanks Pete