Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

My nissan caravan 3.0 diesel turbo has just stopped without

Customer Question

My nissan caravan 3.0 diesel turbo has just stopped without warning and the engine light is blinking
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Possible causes range from fuel pump failure, computer failure, fuel injector failure, timing chain failure or any number of other causes. The first step is to have the computer scanned for fault codes and then post them here.

Please remember that I am not there to test it or inspect it and therefore rely on your for as much detail as possible such as fault codes, symptoms just before the engine stopped, what has been tried so far, etc

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Eric,
I had a mobile mechanic do diagnostics on it and narrowed the problem to the high pressure diesel pump. The ecu on the pump is fine which lead him to believe it is a mechanical fault with the pump. I want to fix this myself are they easy to repair?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Are you wanting to just replace the pump or rebuild the pump. I dont recommend rebuilding the pump yourself as it requires quite a bit of speciality tools that would cost you more than it would cost to have a shop do it for you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I can get a reco pump for it. Was just wandering if the pump is easy to time it with the chain?
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

It does require quite a bit of skill for this and some special tools. If you have done a lot of diesel engine repair in the past, it should not be too hard, but if you are a novice, you can end up trashing the engine if not timed properly

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do you know if the pump it self has timing marks on it and where the timing marks should be in relation to TDC? Or does the pump not matter what position it should be in? Last diesel I fixed I had to sand the crank with emery cloth and replace the journals to get tid of that annoying knock so yep I have played around with a few..
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Been awhile since I have done one, but I know it does having timing marks. Let me see if I have a diagram handy that shows the marks

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Mate! That would be great if you do... I have been trying to track down manuals on these pumps for the timing etc and tge guy who has the pumps for sale is as good as a asshole on my forhead.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Have looked and looked and dont have one for this engine, sorry about that