Pete, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles with some certifications and training.
14928985

BMW E46 318I CUSTOMER CHANGED ENGINE AND NOW IT HAS NO SPARK

Customer Question

BMW E46 318I
CUSTOMER CHANGED ENGINE AND NOW IT HAS NO SPARK FROM THE COIL ON NO1 AND 4 CYLINDERS, I HAVE CHECK AND TESTED COIL LEADS AND WIRING FROM CONTROL UNIT TO COIL, APPEARS TO HAVE A PATTERN ON ALL SIGNAL WIRES AT THE CONTROL UNIT ON THE SCOPE
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Double check and make sure all engine wiring was installed correctly.I have seen in several cases before where shorted/damaged wiring or wiring that wasn't installed at all or installed incorrectly like a loose or damaged ground will cause this as well.If the wiring has already been re checked and found to be o.k. let me know so we can continue.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.Thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hey Pete, i have done a check on most of the wiring and it appears to be correct, but he has changed some wiring and has wires twisted together, I have no workshop manual for this so it is hard to test some things.
The wiring from the module is ok and tests fine, he has bridged wiring out so im wondering if some damage has been done to the ignition control module?
Noel
Expert:  Pete replied 1 year ago.

I would first make sure any spliced wiring was wired to the proper wires and that the connections are all clean and tight.A poor twisted together connection can cause high resistance in an ignition signal circuit and can cause this here.If any wires are spliced in poorly I suggest soldering them without twisting wiring together to see if this corrects this issue here.It is possible the ignition control module or even engine computer has an internal fault due to the spliced wiring with one or both needing replaced as I have seen some damage occur before internally due to this.

Thanks Pete