Matt, Engineer
Experience:  Automotive Engineer for 20 years, BEng hons degree,
12772297

I have a 2012 XLT 4X2 and I am thinking of installing a

Customer Question

I have a 2012 XLT 4X2 and I am thinking of installing a compressor powers Lock Diff because one wheel just spins freely off road, Does the ESP actually help me off road or does it just cut power from the motor without aiding the one wheel spin? Thanks
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

hello

the ESP will help to a degree as its there to help control a skid on the road, and it acts in a few stages as the 1st course of action is the ABS is used to brake the spinning wheel, so in thick mud the torque will be transferred to the non- spinning wheel and it will help

if the system thinks the wheel spin is excessive ( it will trigger at a certain front to rear differential speed ) then it starts to reduce the throttle / engine power and obviously this won't help

so installing a mechanical locking diff will certainly help off road

Expert:  Matt replied 1 year ago.

Hi

do you still need help?

Bear in mind that the site takes a deposit from you at the beginning andthis is held by the site until you rate my answer at which point the cash is splitbetween the site and the expert. so if my answers have been helpful please rate my answer.