Toyota Service
Toyota Service, Toyota/Lexus expert
Experience:  30 + years experience with Toyota products
14892859

I have a problem with my 89 4runneriv got a new altinater

Customer Question

I have a problem with my 89 4runneriv got a new altinater but the batter light is steel on and it dranging my batter and what can it be my start moter as well or what you think mate
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Toyota Service replied 1 year ago.

Hello. Welcome to Just Answer. Please allow me to assist you. The battery light is on because of an issue inside the alternator. When the voltage regulator does not sense proper alternator output voltage, the light comes on. More often than not, low quality, poorly rebuilt replacement alternators cause thsi problem. The rebuilder neglected to replace the voltage regulator. They do this quite often, as to keep the prices down. The more parts they add when rebuilding it, the more they need to charge. The recommendation I have for you on your request would be to return the defective alternator and get another one form a different supplier. To answer ther other part of your question, the starter motor has nothing to do with the battery light; the starter motor cannot be causing the issue.