Gary
Gary, Australia Car Mechanic
Experience:  Senior Technician
84449473

I have 2008 2.0lt captiva, the car seems to flutter from the

Customer Question

i have 2008 2.0lt captiva, the car seems to flutter from the turbo every now and again, it has stopped on me and looged a code, TURBO OVER BOOST. should i be looking to see if any vacuum lines are broken or anything else i should be looking at. i was told that the turbo could be due to be replaced.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi there,

I work for Holden, so I'll help you here.

If the turbo ducting has a split hose it will make more noise than usual, give lower power, and set a DTc as you have described.

Start looking at all the turbo duct hoses and the rocker cover breather hose for oil leaks near.

A leak at a hose end (loose hose clamp or perishing hose) or anywhere along a hose (split).

A turbo over boost code is not a reason to replace the turbo, the code sets because the commanded boost pressure exceeds actual boost.

They are very common for hose failures.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gary,
I replaced the turbo intake and outlet hose about a month ago as the intake hose was perished and split, I haven't noticed the breather hose however I will investigate and see what I can find. what concerns me at the moment is that I only seem to have a problem when the weather is hot. I don't have a problem in the colder months. I do a lot of freeway driving when the problem occurs (engine shutting down) but the turbo will flutter driving around town. im not sure if this is a coincidence with the weather or not either.
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

The turbo intake hose and turbo outlet the intercooler hose are common, and you have replaced them.

How about the hose from the intercooler to the throttlebody?

The Captiva Diesel engine and wiring harness is a difficult setup to maintain, and is fraught with problem areas.

Is the aircleaner filter housing fitted correctly? If not, you'll also hear turbo compressor surge back through the intake more easily.

Gary

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi Gary, I have checked all hoses and all seem fine, I can not find any air leaks and there are no perished hoses any where. do you have any other ideas on what it could possibly be?
Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hello again,

I would say if you can't see anything obvious, I would recommend you take the vehicle to a Holden dealer for further analysis.

I could be one of the boost solenoids leaking.

It could be a programming/config and setup issue.

It could be a stuck injector intermittent.

It could be an intermittent wiring fault.

Sorry I can't give much more.

Maybe in a few years we can have remote access to your vehicle like than can with home computers.

Then I would more of chance.

Hope this helps.

Gary

Expert:  Gary replied 1 year ago.

Hi again,

Just checking in to see if you have had any luck with your car.

Have you taken it to Holden for some further diagnosis?

Gary