sprinkles08
sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience
9825021

My radio starts when I start the car but after 5 minutes it

Customer Question

my radio starts when I start the car but after 5 minutes it stops and the word code comes on I cannot get the code into it no matter what I try
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer!

It sounds as if you have an internal failure in the radio. If it powers up and operates normally then asks for a code that either indicates an internal failure in the radio or it's losing a power or ground feed. If it was losing a power or ground then it would turn off completely until power or ground is regained, and then you'd be able to enter the code and it would work normally again. If it's operating correctly and jumps to asking for a code on it's own but won't respond when you try to enter it then you pretty surely have an internal failure in the radio. You can monitor the power and ground feeds to ensure one isn't being lost at the time it initially goes back to the enter code screen, but a loss of power or ground wouldn't explain it not allowing you to enter the code.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
took bit back to the mechanic who serviced the car and he can't fix it either. It was okay before the servicing of the car and a new battery

They wouldn't be able to repair an internal radio failure, the radio would either need to be replaced or sent out to a facility that specializes in automotive radio and electronics repair.