Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

My ford territory criuse control doesn't work

Customer Question

Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question

Can you clarify some. Does the cruise control not engage, not disengage, act erratically?

Please remember that I am not there to test drive it, therefore I rely on you to provide as much detail as possible so that I may accurately diagnose the problem.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
When I engage cruise control it will not maintain the speed that I set. Example if he set it to 60 kph it will go to 64,or 65 kph ! This is stupid and the dealer tells me.this is normal because it doesn't control the braking of the vehicle. This is totally H.S.!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Bs!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Video Call + Local Mechanic Recommendations. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Does it surge back and forth between set speed and actual speed, or does it increase in speed and stay there on its own?

They are correct that the cruise control does not engage the braking system as it uses throttle control to increase and decrease speed.

It is considered within specs to be a couple of kph off, either above or below set speed.

But if it is erratic in going above or below set speed on LEVEL ground, there is an issue. It will increase or decrease speed some when traveling up inclines or down hill, so we need to know what it is doing on level roads.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It goes back and forward from the actual and increased speed! But always increases past the speed limit that I set
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

If doing this on level road, that would not be considered normal and is usually caused by a faulty cruise control servo that connects to the throttle body via cable

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It usually happens on a very slight incline or decline it is the only vehicle that I ever owned that can't maintain it speed! It really sucks! Test drive one and you will agree with me! It is totally useless!
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

It is normal to increase speed somewhat when going up an incline and to decrease speed when going downhill, but if it is increasing speed going down a hill instead of using the throttle control to decrease speed, then it is a problem with the servo unit

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok it increases on both but when going downhill it goes at least 7 kph over the speed limit. Even when it is less than 2% declined or even a 1% decline. The dealer told me that this is normal to me this is BS
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

When going downhill, you should see an initial increase in speed, and then the servo should close the throttle body throat plate to decrease and manage speed to within 1 to 2kph of the set speed, so that at bottom of the hill and flattening out, it should be right at set speed.

A 1 to 2% grade should not be enough to see any significant speed fluctuation. There is definite issue with the servo

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Well it doesn't and the dealer tell me that this increase about 5 -7 kph is normal. They said that if we a speeding ticket it's our fault. I told him that I never heard of that BS! This why people use this to not get tickets. I live in Hobart Tasmania. This is what your only authorized ford dealer told us! So what should I do
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

They are not my authorized ford dealer. I am an independent shop.

You need to take it to an independent shop to get diagnosed and then take the written diagnosis back to the ford dealer