Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  Automotive Repair Shop Manager, Technician/JA Mentor
3195632

Recently purchased 2013 Nissan X-Trail AWD T31 WITH cvt.

Customer Question

recently purchased 2013 Nissan X-Trail AWD T31 WITH cvt. transmission, which is sold as a six step transmission.when on the freeway cruising at 110klm/hr I discovered when moving the lever across to manual the dash was only indicating step 5,putting it into an indicated 6 manually,only caused the engine RPM. to increase substantially without any increase in road speed.
TWO Nissan dealers have given me totally different accounts as to why this happens,
1) these vehicles are set up for European market.
2) It is a 6 step auto but only a 5 step manual selection.(if so why can one select an indicated 6)
your comments would be appreciated,Regards,xxxxxx xxxx
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I am sorry that you have not been helped yet. I just came online and saw your question.

I need to get the VIN number to see if it is indeed set up for European specs or not, as well as check for any related service bulletins

Any other shift related issues that you have noticed.

Please remember that I am not there to test drive it or see it and therefore rely on you for as much information as possible and occasionally may need to ask for more information in order to give an accurate answer

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you for the reply,
VIN# *****
Regards, ***** *****
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

It does show to be european spec'd by the vin number so your first dealer is correct in why it isnt going into 6th manually. I have looked but dont see a software reprogram that will correct this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
thank you,however I live in Australia,it does not say much for the brand when the can't be bothered to supply a vehicle suited to the countries road conditions,the solution is either a reprogram or a 50 cent chip.
Incidenly,I have risked a large fine by driving the vehicle well over the speed limits trying to simulate European conditions and it was no different.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

Many of the car manufacturers only design/engineer for USA/European/UK/Asian specs, but not the rest of the world.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Volkswagon are about to take a massive hit for misleading customers,here's hoping that are vehicle manufacturers are subject to the same treatment,they have all been guilty of displaying totally irrelevant fuel consumption figures for many years.
Expert:  Eric replied 1 year ago.

HI,

I fully agree, it turned into a game for them years ago and seemingly no governing body lifts a finger to nail them for blatant false advertising of mpg rates

Please remember to rate service using the rating page so that I may receive credit. Thanks

If for any reason, you can't rate my answer OKAY, GOOD, or EXCELLENT today.
Please reply and let me know why, so I can help more/better.
All follow up responses are FREE, after completing the required rating