Dj
Dj, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician. 30+ years in the car repair business.
10906483

My 80 series Landcruiser keeps blowing the 10 amp guage fuse

Customer Question

My 80 series Landcruiser keeps blowing the 10 amp guage fuse every time I turn the ignition on I've blown about 8 fuses in 1/2 hour
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Dj replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for trusting us with your question. I'm DJ.

First off, don't put in a bigger fuse, the wiring can't handle it.

Remove the fuse and stick a couple of wire into the fuse box in place of the fuse. Hook the other ends of the wires to an old sealed headlight bulb. Power will then run through the headlight instead of a fuse.

When you have a direct short to ground, the bulb will be bright. When there's no short to ground the bulb will glow but not be as bright. This is the best way I know to locate a short.

This will keep you from blowing and replacing fuses and you'll be able to move much faster.

This fuse powers stuff all over the truck so it might take some time to find it. With the headlight wire in, you can just unplug harnesses and components and shake and move the wiring. If the bulb goes dim, you're touching the problem.

I would start by checking along the exhaust to see if any wiring is melted. Then check any aftermarket accessories, like a replacement radio or anything else that gets wired in.

Was there any particular reason that you started with the window circuit?

DJ