Ron, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Tech
7276279

I have a Kia Rio 2001 hatchback. The clutch has just been

Customer Question

hello
I have a Kia Rio 2001 hatchback. The clutch has just been replaced, and clutch cable. It has just started intermittently not starting, no warning, at odd times. Have been reading about immobiliser issues
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I have noticed that your question was not getting a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

Your Rio has a clutch positions switch that may have been disturbed during the clutch replacement. The place to start when it will not start is to take your 12 volt test light and or a volt meter and see if you have power in and out of it with the clutch depressed . If you do not then you either have a bad switch or its been knocked out of adjustment. Check this for me and post back with the results and we can work from there if need be.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is a white switch which is depressed when the clutch is pushed in. Is this the one you mean? where do I put the multi meter probes?
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Yes that should be it, place your meter on the wires in and out of it at the connector with the pedal depressed and the key in the crank position to check the voltage in and out of it while the problem is occuring

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi, Sorry I havent replied but i had some personal things to attend to.
I am thinking it may be the ignition switch as there is , at times, some play in the switch before the key functions.
Can you tell me if this is a starightforward type of repair. Thank you
Expert:  Ron replied 1 year ago.

Replacement is fairly straight forward but I would still get and see if you are getting power out of it to the clutch switch to avoid replacing it if its not bad, the test steps at the clutch switch will verify.