Scott
Scott, Master Mechanic
Experience:  30 yrs experience with Aussie, Japanese & British cars
29644491

I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata that is pining. It has logged a

Customer Question

I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata that is pining. It has logged a code saying the intake control valve is over advanced or timing over advanced. The customer has tried different fuels with no luck. We have removed and checked the cvvt control valve. It was very clean and operates when powered up. The signal provided from the ecu to to cvvt control looks normal compared to the wave forms supplied with diagnostics. We have connected the scan tool and can see the amount of advance the engine has. You can hear the engine pinging at about 1400 rpm and the advance is reading 38-40 degrees of advance. Could this be caused by the variable valve timing or is there another cause for the high amount of advance
Daryl.
Category: Australia Car
Expert:  AZTechBrian replied 1 year ago.

Couple thoughts here. There has been issues with these hyundais and aftermarket oil filters resulting in too low of oil pressure to properly control the VVT. Have you checked oil pressure when it's pinging to rule that out? Next would be fuel pressure. Have you checked both those?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We have checked the fuel pressure and fond it within specs. Around 344 kpa. It has a ryco oil filter fitted and pressure was between 340 and 410 kpa while the engine was pining. I don't have the specs for this but I would think that this is plenty of pressure.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The codes recorded. were P0076 and P0011.
Expert:  Scott replied 1 year ago.

Hi there, Daryl,
On the electrical side, The P0076 code is indicating the control solenoid for the CVVT system, or loom/wiring thereof. Uncertain on test procedure for the unit, but I would suggest open circuit(s) would indicate failure. Comparison with a new solenoid would be the best bet.
This may be confusing the ignition timing as well, but not certain there as to the high advance..
I hope this helps,
Cheers
Scott